Ashtanga yoga, nicknamed “power yoga,” consists of a series of postures linked together in a continuous flow. Each pose glides into a counter pose.
Another crucial element is breath; breathe through your nose in rhythm with the poses.
Ashtanga means eight limbs, in reference to the eight aspects of the yoga practice:
1. yama: restraint or abstinence
2. niyama: observance
3. asana: (physical) postures (also called hatha yoga)
4. pranayama: breath control
5. pratyahara: withdrawal of the senses
6. dharana: concentration
7. dhyana: meditation
8. samadhi: bliss, superconciousness
Power yoga uses specific flowing poses (asanas) to incorporate a bit of each of the eight aspects into the physical yoga practice.
Power yoga makes you sweat!