Before you begin yoga, you should know something about correct breathing.
Yogic Breathing benefits you in terms of health and yoga. The breath, mind and body are closely linked, with one affecting the other.
Correct breathing can relax your entire body, purge your body of toxins and rid your mind of stress, anger, tension and worry.
* On the floor, sit comfortably in a cross-legged position.
* Inhale slowly through the nose, feel the abdomen, rib cage and upper chest fill with air.
* Slowly exhale, emptying the lungs from top to bottom.
* Your shoulders and head should stay in the same position.
* Do not raise the shoulders on the inhale or slouch during the exhale.
* Repeat the process five times.
* Breathe in and out through the nose only.
* Clear any blocked nostril. If your right nostril is blocked lay on your left side for a few minutes. Lie on your right side if your left nostril is blocked.
* Never perform breathing exercises after a workout (you might hyperventilate).
* When holding a pose breathe slowly and deeply.
* The idea is to take yourself to a relaxed state aided by proper breathing techniques.
Practicing deep breathing exercises causes an increase in the elasticity of the lungs. This creates an increase in your overall breathing capacity.
Proper Yogic Breathing teaches you how to regulate your breath and remain comfortable in any situation.